We’ve all heard it before: two heads are better than one. Of course we’re talking about teamwork. But what does it really mean? Teamwork occurs when a group of people with different skills work together to achieve the same goal. Functioning, contributing teams rely on successful teamwork.
The benefits of working as part of a team include:
- Skills development: Being part of a team will help you to develop interpersonal communication and even leadership skills, which are valued by employers and important for a successful career.
- Increased productivity and performance: You can achieve more working together than working on your own.
- Building trust: Teamwork depends on trust between members. Trust is developed by good communication and being committed to the goal.
- The ability to focus different minds on the same problem: Each team member will bring different opinions and skills to a discussion leading to a more considered outcome.
- Mutual support: Having your ideas respected and respecting those of others is great for confidence.
- Encouraging healthy risk-taking: With mutual support, if an idea is ‘risky’, the support of team members can encourage the idea to be pursued.
- Fostering creativity and learning: You can throw around your ideas and they will grow with the input of others.
- Teaching conflict resolutions skills: You will not always agree. Working in a team will develop your conflict resolution skills; you will have to be able to explain yourself and listen to the opinions of others to find the best outcome for the team.
- Promoting a wider sense of ownership: Working together you will feel proud of your contributions and feel fulfilled by assisting the team.
- Knowing more about yourself: Collaborating with others will help you to identify your own strengths and weaknesses.
Are you a great team player? Are you:
- Dependable and reliable
- A problem-solver
Throughout our careers, there will be areas we excel at and skills we need to develop. Teamwork is a great skill to have and is beneficial for both our professional and personal development.
Remember TEAM stands for
T – Together
E – Everyone
A – Achieves
M – More
What do you like about working in a team? What challenges have you faced before when doing so? Share your stories below.